Age - Platelet Donor
- Donors can donate once they have reached their 18th birthday.
- 1st time donors can donate up to their sixty-sixth birthday.
- Must have donated blood at least once before.
Weight - Platelet Donor
- Donors should weigh at least 70kg (over 11 stone).
- Have good veins.
Blood Count - Platelet Donor
- Donors need to have an adequate haemoglobin (blood count) to donate.
- Haemoglobin levels have been set at 125 g/l for females and 135 g/l for males.
- Donors will have their blood count checked each time they come to donate. We do this by taking a tiny drop of blood from the fingertip.
How often can I donate platelets?
- All Platelet donors can donate every 4 weeks.